All About Agile Programme Management (AgilePgM®) Framework
Agile Programme Management (AgilePgM®) offers a programme management approach that provides the governance and rigour along with the agility and flexibility organizations demand.
AgilePgM provides programme managers with a disciplined but flexible agile approach to the management of transformational organizational change, allowing for iterative and incremental delivery of outputs and benefits.
Agile Programme Management (AgilePgM®) provides a full programme management framework that can easily fit with existing programme management methods, or it can be used stand-alone.
What is Programme Management?
- Programme management is concerned with ensuring a programme successfully delivers its outcomes and expected benefits, realized through delivery of new or changed capabilities.
- There are often requirements for organizations to transform from a current operational state to a new operational state.
- The reasons and type of change vary greatly, from creating new transport infrastructure to building a new business model.
- Whilst the reasons and type of change vary, the characteristics are similar; a series of initiatives undertaken to move from the old state to new state.
- The initiatives may be projects, business change activities or other activities.
- A programme is formed to manage this series of initiatives and to ensure the new operational state is successfully reached.
- Programmes vary in terms of size and duration.
- Given the significant nature of change, many programmes span multiple years.
What is Agile Programme Management?
- In many ways, programmes are already Agile by nature, in creating fairly autonomous teams to deliver outputs that contribute to the programme outcomes and taking an incremental approach in delivery.
- Agile Programme Management places more emphasis on incremental delivery.
- It recognizes that a programme will evolve over time and cannot be fully defined up front.
- Whilst a roadmap to the future can be created, only the relatively immediate future state can be defined in any detail.
- Agile Programme Management also embraces an iterative approach, where the best solutions emerge based on frequent review and feedback, ensuring changing circumstances are routinely incorporated into the programme.
- There is also a culture of empowerment; teams at all levels are free to make decisions within the scope of what they’re asked to deliver.
- Management becomes facilitative rather than command and control.
- In summary, the emphasis is on the Agile concepts of empowerment, active stakeholder involvement, iterative development and incremental delivery of benefits whilst maintaining control.
The Agile Manifesto
We are uncovering better ways of developing software by doing it and helping others do it. Through this work we have come to value:
|Individuals and interactions
||processes and tools
|Responding to change
||following a plan
Benefits of Agile Programme Management
- Deliver transformational change faster, at a lower cost and with lower risk by continuous realization of benefits and validation of programme goals against business strategy.
- Complements and works with existing corporate methodologies (e.g. PRINCE2®, MSP, Agile Project Management) and quality & audit processes.
- Improves rigour and visibility around programme management, leading to a proven track record of successful programme outcomes in a corporate environment.
- Simply adopt a tried and tested approach rather than developing and integrating a company-specific agile programme management process.
- Achieve better communication and control over programmes and just in time planning without disrupting the programme budget, timescale and vision.
- Develop professionalism in employees and include agile certification in employee professional development schemes.
The AgilePgM Handbook
- Offers a practical and repeatable methodology that achieves an ideal balance between the standards, rigour and visibility required for good programme management, and the fast-pace, change and empowerment provided by Agile.
- Based on the Agile Business Consortium's Agile Programme Management Framework.
- Offers a structured and scalable corporate Agile framework based on proven practice.
Brings together all elements of a programme in an Agile context:
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Monitoring and Control
A complete framework for successful Agile Programmes.
5 PRINCIPLES for Effective Agile Programme Management
- Programme goals are clearly and continuously aligned to business strategy
- Benefits are realised incrementally and as early as possible
- Governance focusses on creating a coherent capability
- Decision-making powers are delegated to the lowest possible level
- Agile programmes are iterative and have the ability to contain both agile and non-agile projects
The AgilePgM Lifecycle
The AgilePgM Roles and Responsibilities
Why Agile Programme Management (AgilePgM)?
- A tried & tested corporate approach:
- Enhanced from the Agile Business Consortium's Project Framework (established for over 20 years).
- Provides governance & rigour along with the agility & flexibility demanded by organizations today.
- Adopted by a wide range of organizations representing various sectors & industries.
- Offers a programme management approach that provides the governance and rigour along with the agility and flexibility organizations demand.
- Can be used either stand-alone or combined with other recognised methods such as MSP® and PMI.
- Also ideal as a wrapper for more limited Agile and non-Agile approaches to ensure the whole programme lifecycle is addressed.
AgilePgM Training and Certification
Agile Programme Management (AgilePgM) certification trainings are provided by APMG International's Accredited Training Organizations (ATOs) across the globe. Tecknologia is also an APMG Accredited Training Organization (ATO) offering Agile Programme Management certification trainings across the globe and in various formats.
Click on the link for certification level to explore the exam details.
Are you ready to become a certified Agile Programme Manager? Click here to explore relevant training and achieve the next level in programme management profession.